King Cobra vs Komodo Dragon

Discussion in 'Ulquiorra's Trash Can' started by Rinda Man, May 9, 2009.

1. Rinda Man

Rinda Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    full grown king cobra vs full grown komodo dragon. winner?

2. RED★

RED★ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +191 / -0
    King Cobra!

3. Houzukimaru

Houzukimaru Apparently I'm a

Ratings:
    +72 / -0
    If the cobra wraps around the komodo dragon then theres nothing it can do

4. Wrasvan

Wrasvan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / -0
    King Cobra:

22ft long
    Venom (neurotoxic)
    Mortality rate from bites is as high as 75%

Komodo:
    8-9 ft; 170ish pounds
    Poor hearing
    Poor night vision

Cobra takes it easy.

5. blunt_smoker_420

blunt_smoker_420 1st Division: Solid Snake

Ratings:
    +82 / -0
    I think the cobra would kill the komodo dragon but not without getting itself killed in the process.

6. I Can Has Bankai?!

I Can Has Bankai?! Rock Lobster!

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    It's hard to say while cobra's are poisonous so is the komodo dragon in way as it has a load of bacteria in it's mouth that acts like a poison so in reality who ever gets bitten first loses. In the end I say cobra because it's faster.

7. BalrogLord

BalrogLord Captain Capitalist

Ratings:
    +139 / -0
    how much time does it take before a cobras poison come into effect? i can easily see the cobra getting in the first hit but all the komodo dragon has to do is swipe it with its claws or bite it and its over.

8. blunt_smoker_420

Ratings:
    +82 / -0
    True and the komodo's saliva is also poisonous.

9. Yadomaru

Yadomaru is a sexy-babe-lovin'

with Nemu, Lisa, Yoruichi-sama, Senna, Nanao-chan,
    Ratings:
    +248 / -0
    Could go either way, but I'm leaning towards the King Cobra

• Like Like x 1
  10. blunt_smoker_420

Ratings:
    +82 / -0
    I just don't think the venom would kill the komodo before it tears the cobra to shreds.

11. Feranor

Feranor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / -0
    I'd say that most likely both of them die in the process.

12. Oxyuranus

Oxyuranus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    LMAO ok guys, Im sorry to pull out the Herpetology "know it all" in me but you guys are very, very, very wrong! I love snakes more then anyother animal, hence the picture BUT a king has zero chance at winning.

First off, the KC record is 18 feet, not 22. Second, thats the record. Adult males average 14-15 foot, females a shy smaller. They are venomous snakes. What does that mean? They are not constrioctors! Their bodies are not anywhere near as strong as a python of teh same size. In short, the KC isnt holding shit in place.

Second, Komodos as are monitor lizards with extreme immunity to...well, everything! Their savliva contains so many leathal bacteria due to the carrion they eat that they should be dead. Their gums bleed constantly allowing the bacteria free acsess to their blood stream and it does nothing to them. They cant catch cancer, they dont get sick and they are being studied for potential medical cures. They are also immune to venom. Ive seen photoage of juvi komodos eating smallish tree vipers and getting nailed countless times while doing so yet have no adverse reactioons to a venom that can kill us. I have also seem photage of their close relative, the savannah monitor getting chewed on by a Morocon cobra is was consumeing and nothing happened to it. They even followed the lizard around for 24 hrs after to see if somthing would happen and nada.. The morocan cobra's venom is much, much, much more potent then the king cobras. (though the king has much more venom).

Now, kings can and do eat baby komdos but if you compare adult to adult, as much as I love the king, its nothing more then a rag doll to a komdo.

Komdos take down buffalo! Komdos are the dominate predators in their range. They can and have and will again predate on people! With all of that strength and their impervious immune system, I'm sorry but there is absolutely no chance for the king. Compare a king to anyother snake barring a large python and it wins but not aginst a komdo.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Houzukimaru

Houzukimaru Apparently I'm a

Ratings:
    +72 / -0
    If its true the Komodo wont be affected by the King Cobras venom then yea theres really no way the Cobra can take it down

14. blunt_smoker_420

Ratings:
    +82 / -0
    That's what I was thinking, there is no way a snake is taking down a komodo.

15. Oxyuranus

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    Though as i stated, the king is nothing in this match up it is however a bad ass. There is a recorded case of an Asian Elphant stepping on a KC. In its death throws the King turned around, latched on and chewed on the elphants foot. The snake died of cource BUT so did the elaphant, within 20 mins!

I guess I just felt I should give some love to the king :D BTW, incase any of you like useless snake facts, heres one I always found interesting. The King Cobra is actualy not a cobra. Its in its own category, distinct from current day cobras by alot (true cobras are in the genus Naja whereas the king has its own, sperate genus, Ophiohagus which pretty much means snake eater in latin). The term king cobra derives from its obvious hood (which if you compare it to other "true" cobras you will see it to be much more narrow) but even more so because it is a snake eater almost primarily. Essentialy its regarded as the "king of snakes" but they threw cobra in because of the obvious similarities.

Ok, I'm done now :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Andrethegiant

Andrethegiant Is Awesome

Ratings:
    +8 / -0

I'd like to know where you get your info from because I haven't read anything saying that komodo's are immune to venom.

I say this fight is fairly even. The cobra's are quicker but the komodo's tend to ambush their prey. I'd have to give it to the komodo more times than the cobra though.

17. Rosh

Rosh Banned

Ratings:
    +135 / -0
    King cobra takes it

18. Oxyuranus

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    Venom resistence in snake eating species of of reptiles is well documented. King cobras also have a very high reistence to venom as well as the harmless, non venomous kingsnakes of North America that prey on rattlesnakes and several other species of snakes. Sea turtles are even highly if not fully resistant to some venoms as they feed primarily on jellyfish which as a group are probally the most venomous animals on the planet (the box jelly fish is the most potentlyvenomous animal alive).

As for the monitors and the komodo specificly, it is common knowledge within the herpetological community that species within the genus Varanus (monitor lizards) have a very high resistence to the venom of snakes and that they predate on them commonly. Bellow are a few links that refernce this resistance. I have also seen photage as I said up top but without acsess to animal planet, Nat Geo and the discovery channels archives I can not obtain it. I have cnofirmed this with world leading experts in toxicolgy and even consulted the curator of reptiles at the National Zoo in DC about it for confirmation when I used to volunteer there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon (look under the diet section which specificly mentioned a komodo feeding on Ophiohagus hannah aka the king cobra)

http://www.wildlifeofpakistan.com/ReptilesofPakistan/desertmonitor.htm (look under the biology section. It mentioned Monitor lizard resistance to the venom of snakes)

http://www.denverzoo.org/downloads/dzoo_komodo_dragon.pdf (look under the diet section where it mentions that they feed on venomous snakes)

19. Andrethegiant

Andrethegiant Is Awesome

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    The first link says that it can ambush even deadly prey, such as the king cobra. Meaning, the king cobra is still deadly to it.

The second link is of the same species but not the same animal. Just because one has a resistance to poison, doesn't mean the other will.

Under the third link, no mention of being resistant or immune to the venom. Just because it's diet is venomous snakes, doesn't mean it's immune. Venom isn't stored in the entirety of the snake.

20. Oxyuranus

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    Oh really, no shit. I mean, I thought ever inch of a snake was venomous, silly me. sarcasim off.

Have you seen a monitor lizard predate on a snake before? No, you havent. The grab the snake wherever they can. If its a venomous snake and if it dosent grab the head which is most of the time what do you think the snake does? It turns around and starts pumping all of its venom into the lizard because it being killed and has no other defense. I dont understand why you are arguing this since those links, which was very quick search btw and not a very good one for reason I will state bellow clearly state that monitor lizard predate on venomous snakes. If somthing eats a venomous snake dont you think it would have some ability to overcome the danger aspect of venom? If your just debating full immunity to partial immunity you may be right but even partial is enough not to kill the lizard. Also, keep in mind that the stipulations are full grown for each species. Do you have any idea the ridiculous weight advantage in favor of the komodo? Venom is more powerful to smaller mass. This is why kings can kill juvi komodos even though their venom, drop for drop is weak. They have alot of and a full grown king can and willtake a 2 foot komodo. It wont be eating any bigger because a, it mostlikly wont catch it and B, its too big for a snake that specializes in other snake to consume.. however, the mass and matured immunity of an adult is nothing to be trifiled with.

Ive seen photage of a juvi komodo get tagged in the face by a tree viper, which has more toxic venom then a king drop for drop(if you want me to provide a link to LD50 testing, the source of venom toxicity charts I can but you wont understand a fucking thing) and not have anything wrong with it. Ive seen a savannah monitor take a morocon cobra which was much longer then it BTW, have the cobra latch on to the monitor's eye and proceed to pump venom into it. It walked it off with no effect at all.

No, I cant find specific casees documented online revolving the venom resistance of komodo's specificly BUT most Herpetology related material is not published on line and the respurces I have at home, in books, I dont feel like scanning to prove a poiont to you.. If you want credentials, ask for Brina Craig Fry on any venom related forum. He post on the board and is the world leading expert on reptile venoms. Hes been on several Animal Planet and Nat Geo shows. If that isnt enough of a viable reference for you then you are hopeless.

BTW, if you still doubt this, doubt their ability to resist toxic biological substances then please read about their resistance to deadly bacteria which is very well publised on the net being as its being studied for "human" medicinal purposes.. You can also post this question on any Vanarid forum and get the same answers as well.

In all honesty, I respect your ability tp question but your just being pig headed. If you do anything i just recomended then you'll come up with the conclusion I gave. As I said, it may not be 100 percent immune but it is resistant enough to shurg it off as has been documented several times, in numerous species. I would hope I have proved that i atleast have some idea of what I'm talking about but apparently you still doubt me. If you want clarification proceed to follow any of the recomendation I laid out in front of you.

BTW, since I admit, snakes are my prime focus in Herpetology, how about you tell me why you think the king will win? Thart may be better and easier for me to debunk.

Regardless, it still stands, the king dosent stand a chance.